When we look back at this presidential election, I have a sneaking suspicion that we will see web2.0 as having played a big role in the candidates' ability to create buzz, build traction and won significant hearts and minds in the race to the white house.
Enclosed are the few things Barack has done to leverage Web 2.0:
- Leveraging social networking to bag funding and votes- the key is around MyBarackObama thro which you can set up your own webpage to raise funds for Barack – nifty gadgets including a thermometer with a level of mercury that depicts how close you are to success- the socialsite allows you to send invitations and also keep track of invites- eg reminders etc- and, of course, there is a payment gateway
- Leveraging the YouTube channel which has close to 1600 videos to look at and many are added every week
- User Generated Content- eg individuals that have created video tutorials to help the activist community get traction and - example; example2,
- phonebanking1on1- a 1on1 tutorial focused on creating activists out of interested people that want to help
- Neighbor to neighbor: program to connect community activists thro ip calls, by giving them access to voter lists etc…
- Drive to register- leveraging community
- Viral videos- eg the obamasong by will.ia.m
This election, I suspect, will teach all of us new tricks to use in our own campaigns.